Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Nostalgia Experiment: Reviewing the 90s

I'm a child of the 90s.  We had some pretty awesome entertainment growing up.  I hear everyone (read: people on youtube and reddit) talking about it, how today's kids have been screwed out of a satisfactory childhood because Disney and Nickelodeon have dropped the ball.




But.

But but but.

What if we're all just wearing nostalgia goggles?  What if we just remember the shows we watched as kids as being absolutely stellar, landmark television just because we were stupid and young and didn't know any better?  What if, when push comes to shove, the shows we grew up watching were not inherently better or worse than any other generation's television shows?

I'll give you a second to recover from having your minds blown.

So here's what I propose.  An experiment, if you will, to determine whether our favorite shows of the 90s stand up to some scrutiny, or if they're somewhat less than awesome.

These are my terms:

For each kick-ass 90s show, I will watch the pilot and nine other randomly selected episodes from the series run.  I will review the episodes.  Taking into account my own memories of the show, and my objective viewing of it 15 or so years later, I will determine if it's really as awesome as I remember it being.  I realize this is in no way scientifically accurate, but it's the best I can do.

I will not watch ANYTHING I didn't watch as a kid, because if I did that I wouldn't have the crucial nostalgia goggles effect.  For example, I never watched Power Rangers or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  If anyone wanted to do a guest post reviewing those, I think that would be cool and I would be more than willing to host it on the site.

I'm also willing to extend this into other aspects of children's entertainment, like movies or video games.  If anyone has an idea that they really want to try, let me know.

The first show I'm going to watch and review is: Hey Arnold!




So bookmark this site, because there's about to be a 90s nostalgia explosion up in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment