Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mad Men: Far Away Places

Peggy smokes pot and gives some random dude a hand job in a movie theater.  No, seriously.  Also, I was right about Ginsberg being a Holocaust survivor.  So sad times but also hell yeah.





Peggy's having a hell of a time at work.  Megan keeps managing to get out of doing work because she's married to the boss, which has to make her feel incredibly awkward.  She said that she wanted to be a real copywriter, but she can't be making many friends by constantly skipping out on stuff to go be with Don.

The Heinz guy is back, and surprise surprise, he's not happy with their designs.  For me, he's ranking right up there with Conny Hilton and the guy from Lucky Strike as most annoying clients ever.  He's clearly just one of those people who's never happy, and it doesn't matter if you do exactly what he tells you to do, he's not going to like it.  So pretty much everyone I've ever worked for.  I'm actually pretty proud of Peggy for standing up to that guy, even though it was a terrible business decision and got her taken off the project.  Less proud of her for going to the movies and hooking up with random stoner.  Ugh, Peggy, don't become Don.  You still have Abe.  And he's a pretty cool guy!

I love her conversation with Michael Ginsberg.  He's such an interesting character, and he got a great monologue there.  I like him telling Peggy that he's really a Martian as a way to distance himself from his past.  His backstory opens up a lot of possibilities, and the European History major in me hopes they actually do something with it.

OK, I would kill myself if I had to sit at a dinner party with Jane's friends.  I don't know how Roger is still sitting there without jamming a fork into his eye.  There are very few things I hate more than pretentious wannabe philosophers.  Which is obviously why I went to a liberal arts college.  Holy crap, they're going to try LSD???  This is a horrible decision.  But I like how it takes hallucinogenic drugs to make Roger and Jane bond.  Is somebody going to have a bad trip and jump out of a window?  Isn't that the sort of thing that usually happens?  Well, it's 1966, this had to happen sooner or later.  Although if I had to pick one person from the office to be the first to try LSD, I wouldn't have bet on Roger.  It's great that Roger and Jane are finally able to talk about their feelings.  "You don't like me."  "I did.  I really did."  It's so honest and painfully sad at the same time.

Trouble in paradise with Don and Megan.  She's finally had just about enough of him dictating everything about their relationship.  As so many of us have anticipated, the generation gap between them is really starting to cause some major strife.  Don wants a dutiful wife, and Megan wants a partner.  Betty was willing to be his support team, but Megan is very much her own person.  She wants to work with the team, not be running off with him whenever he wants her to.  This is why working for your husband is a bad decision.  But Megan won major points for me when she was willing to give it back as well as she got it.  Her shoveling the sherbet down her throat may have been childish, but I know it's exactly what I would have wanted to do in that situation.  Megan's at least willing to have an argument...Don just completely shuts down when he's challenged like that.  But I can't believe he drove away and just left her at the Howard Johnson Motor Lodge.  That's harsh.

Really good job from both Jon Hamm and Jessica Pare in the reconciliation scene.  You can feel for both of them.  Megan was so scared and is so angry that he could have left her by the side of the road to fend for herself.  And Port Authority in the 60s?  Hundreds of homeless people, wall to wall.  That must have been an incredibly nerve-wracking situation for her.  But you can also understand Don's desperation and fear that she was dead.  When he hugs her around the waist and tells her that he thought he lost her...that's an honest moment for Don, and you know that if something happened to her because of his rash actions during a fight, he wouldn't have ever been able to forgive himself.

OMG thank you Bert for finally saying what we've all been thinking.  Don has been out to lunch all season, and the whole office is suffering for it.  Clients need to see him involved, it makes them feel more confident about the ideas.  If Don had been there for the Heinz meeting, that guy probably would have gone for the idea, because he would have known that Don stood behind the concept.

Overall I feel like this was a strong episode.  This season is so interesting and kind of eerie, with all the flashbacks and dream sequences and nonlinear storylines.  I've really been enjoying it, and I love the tone it has taken so far.  They're getting into the darker years of the 60s, and it definitely shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment