Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mad Men: Tea Leaves

Don and Harry chill out at a Stones concert, Betty starts to get complacent and fat, and Peggy needs to find a token Jew for the office.  Interested?  You better be!





So as you may or may not know, January Jones recently had a baby, and therefore was pregnant for most of the filming of Season 5.  She also eats her placenta.  I wasn't going anywhere with that.  I just felt that I needed to put it out there.  A lot of shows deal with their females getting pregnant by hiding them behind things like huge purses and grocery bags, or shooting around them.  Man Men decided to make a storyline about Betty getting fat.  Which, you know...works too.

Unfortunately, her fatness may be the result of a tumor on her thyroid gland, which sends Don and Betty into a tailspin of worry (Henry seems relatively unaffected, and I'm still mad at him for being short with Don at the end of the episode).  There's a lot of drama type stuff with Betty freaking out about potentially having cancer, and of course some more awkward Betty dream sequences.  Luckily, it turns out that she doesn't have cancer, she's just fat.  Which in the grand scope of things isn't that bad, but of course Betty seems a little pissed off at the end that she doesn't have cancer. (???)

Don and Harry are trying to get the Rolling Stones to do a Heinz commercial, so they show up at a Stones concert and hang around backstage.  Look, I don't know how they did things back in the 60s, but I feel like there's definitely a better way to do that kind of thing than using the strategy of showing up and hoping for the best.  Like, there's a management office, and you call them, and they set up meetings.  That's how it works.

Anyway, them being at the concert gets them in touch with a bunch of teenagers, which makes them realize how old and out of touch they are.  High point of the episode: Harry gets high at a Stones concert and then eats 20 White Castle burgers in Don's car.  The fact that I just got to type that sentence makes me so amused I really don't know what to do with myself.

Meanwhile, the company needs to hire a new copy writer to work on the new Mohawk account, and the only requirement is that he has to have a penis.  So it's Peggy's responsibility to find the man who will undoubtedly get promoted up the ranks way faster than her and end up her boss someday.  And this is when we get Michael Ginsberg, the Jew.  I make a point of mentioning it because they could not have made it more clear that he is Jewish.  I mean, he's doing a watered down Woody Allen impression, Roger makes a comment that probably passed for diversity training back in the 60s, and when Michael goes home, his father sings a prayer in Hebrew to him.  It's like...I get it, he's Jewish.

Other Things of Note:


  • I'm sorry, but every time Betty was on screen I kept trying to decide how much of her chin was makeup and how much of it was just the fact that she was pregnant.  It was very distracting.

  • I really hope Harry's awkwardness around Megan continues for as long as she happens to be on the show.

  • I couldn't believe it when Henry's mother came over to give Betty some friendly advice about not getting fat.  If I had a mother-in-law and she said something like that to me...well, bitch better start looking over her shoulder, that's all I'm saying.

  • I can't stand another minute with Michael Ginsberg.  Even his jacket offends me.

  • I felt mean when the psychic said to Betty, "You mean so much to the people around you," because I was like, "Please.  Everyone hates Betty."

  • Don and Megan are going to Fire Island?!?  What is going on?

  • OK, I lied I love Michael Ginsberg now.  Look, my feelings are intense but changeable, alright?  I love that he continually makes Peggy feel wrong-footed.

No comments:

Post a Comment